San Juan Bautista Church, is a column architecture from XVI century, located at Argamasilla de Alba (Ciudad Real). This church typology is characterized by the combination of the gotic heritage, with Italian Renaissance new feels. Building started in 1542, with a twist of being unfinished from below, which turns this structure to an original space, held by circular pillars. The full space falls on three naves of similar height, however, the main nave has double width regarding to the others.
In 2003 they started remodelling works focused on enhance the lowest part of the structure, just as generate a higher space feeling during their current 36 metres. However, some shifts have been done on horseback between XVII and XVIII centuries: side chapels, flagstone pavements and two shields from Emmanuel Filberto of Saboya, prior of the San Juan order heritage.
Up to now, San Juan Bautista church enclose substantial artistic works:
- Renaissance rood screen donated in 1588 by Emmanuele Filberto of Saboya, Venecia and Piamonte prince.
- Cristo de la Merced, stemming from Mercedarios priory and Escuela Andaluza donation.